Buxton 2-0 Ashton Utd - report

Laurie Wilson scored Buxton's second.
Laurie Wilson scored Buxton's second.

Buxton overcame Ashton in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy, thanks to two second half goals at the Silverlands.

Liam Hardy and Laurie Wilson both notched to ensure the win for Martin McIntosh’s side against their fellow Evo-Stik Premier rivals.

The Bucks made an electric start and should really have been ahead inside the opening two minutes.

Shaun Tuton made a brilliant run down the right before cutting inside and taking the ball beyond the goalkeeper before appearing to lose his footing with the goal at his mercy and in the process surrendering a foul.

Seconds later Alastair Taylor smacked an effort over from close-range after good work by Craig King on the flank.

Jay Gorton saw a header sail into the arms of Arron Jameson in the visitors’ first real attempt.

The Bucks harshly had a goal disallowed on 18 minutes when Lawrie Wilson’s free-kick caused havoc in the Ashton box and fell kindly for Liam Hardy, who headed home.

However, the referee chalked out the strike presumably for a foul on the visitors’ stopper, although there were not many appeals from the United ranks.

Gary Gee then hit an effort that brought the best out of Jameson as the visitors stepped up their pressure before a dangerous cross was whipped across the face of the Bucks’ goal and eventually cleared.

The rest of the half saw both sides try and wrestle for possession as they struggled to take a foothold on the tie.

Tuton was presented with a great chance at the start of the second half when he latched onto Wilson’s prodded pass only to fire wide of the target.

Moments later the Bucks took one of their chances when Hardy drilled beyond Phillips after a cute flicked pass from Tuton.

Tuton then nearly doubled the lead when he worked hard to charge down a clearance, ran onto it and chipped an effort over the advancing Phillips.

However, a back-tracking Ashton defender managed to hack the ball away just in time.

Tuton was again quick to the ball soon after and outpaced the defence before being outsmarted by the alert Phillips.

Ashton then stepped up the ante before the Bucks doubled their lead.

A quick counter saw the hosts get men forward and Hardy’s initial effort was charged down by Phillips only to fall into the path of Wilson who volleyed gleefully into the empty net.

Buxton then bombed forward in search of a third but Phillips tipped an inswinging corner onto the bar before Stevens saw a shot just sail wide.

Lee Rick then flashed an effort over the bar before Ashton continued to pepper the Bucks’ goal but to no avail.

Tuton saw another late effort kept out by Phillips, on a day when the former Matlock man could have had four goals.

Buxton: Jameson, Green, Palmer, Young, Istead, Wilson, Stevens, Taylor, King, Tuton, Hardy (Williams 87).

Att: 272