Buxton 1-1 FC United of Manchester - report

Buxton FC v FC United of Manchester
Buxton FC v FC United of Manchester

The spoils were shared in an entertaining tussle between Buxton and FC United of Manchester on Tuesday night.

Heading into this game, the last 15 meetings between the two sides had seen the home side win just once.

Buxton FC v FC United of Manchester

Buxton FC v FC United of Manchester

And that sequence was stretched to one in 16 after this pulsating draw at the Silverlands - despite the visitors being reduced to ten men.

Jamie Green opened the scoring early on before Matt Wolfenden saw red late in the first half for FC.

The visitors then drew level from the penalty spot as both sides had to settle for a point.

The first threat of the match came from the right flank when Tuton crossed into the box and Stott managed to clear out for a corner from under his own crossbar when under pressure.

Buxton boss Martin McIntosh.

Buxton boss Martin McIntosh.

Tuton was then instrumental in the Bucks opening the scoring when he produced a scintillating turn to get away from a marker on halfway.

He then prodded past another defender before feeding Hardy, whose pass to the back-post found Jamie Green and he was able to slot home to the delight of the Bucks fans.

It could have been 2-0 moments later, but Greg Young’s header was saved point-blank by Carnell in the away goal.

The pace of the game was ferocious and both sides were producing attacking, entertaining football.

FC United should have drawn level when a ball was whipped across the area only for the unmarked Kay to blast over under pressure from Young.

Liam Hardy saw a free-kick go straight into the wall just outside the area, before Wolfenden saw a free header sail wide inside the box for the visitors.

The Bucks then missed a glorious chance to make it 2-0 when Green overlapped on the right and crossed for Hardy, who missed the ball by a few inches when any contact would surely have made it 2-0.

As half-time approached Buxton were given a major boost when the visitors were reduced to ten men.

Wolfenden put in a lunging, late tackle on Steve Istead near the byline that looked a deserved red card.

United shuffled their pack at the break as did the Bucks, with Craig King being introduced early into the second half.

United managed to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty after Hardy was adjudged to have handled in the area.

Stott put the penalty away to make it 1-1. Moments earlier Jameson had pulled off a superb save to deny the visitors what looked a clear goal.

Buxton went in pursuit of a second but the 10 men of FC remained stubborn defensively.

Clear-cut chances were hard to come by for either side during the last quarter, with both sides wary about venturing forward too much.

As the clock ticked down Buxton were restricted to set-pieces, with Mark Reed having a couple of half-chances but to no avail.

Bucks: Jameson, Franks (King 53), Young, Palmer, Green, Istead, Niven, Wilson (Stevens 11), Hardy (Reed 80), Tuton, Taylor.

Att: 810