Buxton 0-3 Rushall: Bucks’ play-off dreams are well and truly over after heavy defeat

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow),
Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow),

Buxton’s slim Evo-Stik Premier Division play-off hopes were ended with a 3-0 defeat at home to Rushall Olympic on Saturday.

The game offered little from both sides in this scrappy affair – Rushall took the lead against the run of play after a poor backpass was pounced upon by Aaron Williams who poked it past Jameson.

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow), Liam Hardy

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow), Liam Hardy

Mitchell Tolley then slammed home to make it 2-0 before Williams got his second of the game from a tap-in late on.

Buxton had more of the ball but it was the Midlanders who managed to put their chances away.

The Bucks ran out with their play-off ambitions all but over but came out of the traps quickest in the opening stages.

Liam Hardy’s mazy run found Joe McGee but his pull-back to Ash Burbeary ended up at the feet of Tolley who cleared.

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow),

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow),

Williams tested Jameson just minutes later for the visitors but his effort was comfortably seen over the bar.

A dull period of play then endured as neither side could keep hold of the ball – the Walsall club managed to break as Buxton play broke down but they couldn’t offer anything in the final third.

Out of nothing, the game came to life as Alastair Taylor was sent scampering down the right and his resulting cross very nearly ended up in the back of net off the legs of Tolley but it skimmed just wide.

Rushall troubled Jameson’s goal on 21 minutes after a great ball from Duggan found Caines, his knock back fell to Austin as he cut inside to fire wide.

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow), Jamie Green

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow), Jamie Green

Bucks hotshot Hardy did well to shrug of Duggan’s challenge as he fired low from an acute angle but Price was well behind it.

Jameson was then called into action out of nothing as Heath was put through on goal by Sinton but the stopper saved well down low with his legs.

After another drab period of play, Alastair Taylor livened things up as he latched on to a ball from McGee; he calmly took it down and tested Price at full stretch to keeping the scores level.

The resulting corner was met by the head of Todd Jordan but he couldn’t keep it down.

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow), Alastair Taylor

Buxton FC v Rushall Olympic (yellow), Alastair Taylor

Rushall, against the run of play, then took the lead after some calamitous Buxton defending on 43 minutes.

Stuart Ludlam tried to find Jameson with a diving headed back-pass but neither the keeper nor the defender saw Williams nip in to poke it past the advancing keeper.

Buxton very nearly hit back just 60 seconds later but Price pulled off a fantastic save from Hardy just six yards out to keep the visitors on top before the break.

The home side flew out of the blocks and should have levelled the tie just 45 seconds into the second half.

Hardy did well to get a cross off from Rushall pressure but Burbeary who connected with his head sent it straight at Price.

As the hailstones fell so did the Buxton pressure, and both sides languished in a midfield battle that featured plenty of head-tennis and hoof ball.

On 65 minutes Buxton woke up from their slumber to take the game to Rushall.

Burbeary again caused problems on the left and played a diagonal ball to McGee, but his effort flew past the post.

However, this brief spell of Buxton pressure was undone on 70 minute when Rushall extended their lead.

Buxton were caught napping at the back when Jake Heath put through the unmarked Mitchell Tolley who sent his effort through the gloves of Jameson to make it 2-0.

Bucks’ substitute Alex Stacey nearly reduced the deficit from six yards after Rushall failed to clear their lines from a corner but Price again blocked well.

The visitors then put the game to bed with their third goal of the afternoon in the 92nd minute when Williams tapped in to rub salt in the wounds of Martin McIntosh’s men.

Bucks: Jameson, Ludlam, Palmer, Young, Green, Jordan, Taylor, Stevens, McGee, Burbeary, Hardy.