Buxton 0-2 FC United of Manchester - match report

Buxton v FC united.
Buxton v FC united.

FC United of Manchester left the Silverlands with all three points in a match that truly was a game of two halves.

The first 45 minutes saw Buxton create a plethora of chances but their inability to hit the back of the net cost them dear in the second half.

Martin McIntosh will be ruing his side’s missed chances as two goals in the space of three minutes sealed victory for the visitors.

The game started well for the Bucks, in front of the biggest gate of the season with 1,112 crammed into the Silverlands.

Aside from a routine save from Andy Warrington to deny Callum Byrne, it was one-way traffic for a large part of the first half.

Lee Morris saw a series of efforts go close, Neil Stevens had a header tipped over the bar and Derek Niven’s speculative lob bounced the wrong side of the post with the goalkeeper off his line.

Buxton may have failed to open the scoring but they looked the sharper side, with Ash Palmer and Niven in particular impressing.

Despite edging the opening 45 minutes, Buxton looked a completely different side after the break.

And it took only six minutes for FC United to open the scoring, as the impressive Matt Wolfenden meandered through the defence before firing past Warrington.

A clearly shell-shocked Buxton then conceded again just minutes later when a straight-forward punt forward was completely left by Palmer.

The bounce allowed Mike Norton to nip in and round Warrington for an easy tap-in.

McIntosh responded by introducing Leon Osborne, Otis Khan and Mark Reed with the latter in particular going closest for Buxton.

But the two goals undoubtedly rocked the hosts as they failed to rediscover their form of the first half.

The hosts’ luck was best summed up when a couple of chances failed to go their way.

First, Niven’s goal-bound header took a deflection and was gathered by the FC United keeper, before Reed’s effort was denied only by the scrambling, back-pedaling stopper.

On the plus side, this was the first defeat in nine league outings for the Bucks who remain on the cusp of the play-offs and crucially have games in hand on teams around them.

Bucks: Warrington, Black, Green, Palmer, Harris, Istead (Osborne 53), Niven, Thornhill, Stevens (Khan 64), King, Morris (Reed 67). Attendance: 1,112.