Buxton 0-1 Nantwich - match report

Stuart Ludlam holds off the challenge of a Nantwich player. Photo: Brian Eyre.
Stuart Ludlam holds off the challenge of a Nantwich player. Photo: Brian Eyre.

Buxton opened the 2014/15 campaign with a defeat at home to Nantwich at the Silverlands.

A controversial red card for Greg Young was the main talking point, before the visitors grabbed the only goal of the game shortly after.

Martin McIntosh gave league debuts to five players, with goalkeeper Arron Jameson, Greg Young, Jonathan Williams, Shaun Tuton and Liam Hardy all starting.

It was the visitors who had the first effort; Max Harrop lofting an effort onto Jameson’s bar after only a minute to cause jitters in the Bucks’ defence.

Seconds later up the other end, Greg Young saw his header kept out from Williams’ in-swinging free-kick.

A period of scrappy play then ensued before Tuton had a chance to open the scoring when put through by King.

The former Matlock man was through on goal but the advancing Nantwich goalkeeper did just enough to put the forward off and take him away from the area.

Steve Istead saw a rising effort go over from the right flank before Nantwich threatened again only to see Meaney’s effort clear Jameson’s bar.

The second half started brightly for the Bucks, with Hardy’s lashed effort straight down the throat of the visiting stopper.

Adam Jones then had arguably the best attempt of the game just before the hour mark, when the centre-half beat Jameson to the ball only to prod an effort agonisingly wide of the right-hand post.

What followed was a controversial incident when the Bucks should have had a penalty.

Hardy’s effort fell to Tuton who was clearly bundled over in the box.

However, referee Chris Akers waved play on and from the resulting break upfield Greg Young was shown a controversial red card.

Young fouled Steve Jones but wasn’t the last man back, however the referee still decided to show red, much to the frustration of home support.

Stuart Ludlam shifted across to partner Palmer at centre-back, with Istead moving to right-back.

The Bucks held out until 71 minutes when a routine corner found skipper Mark Jones lurking outside the area, and he had enough time to drill an effort through a sea of bodies to make it 1-0.

Nantwich were then firmly on top with the hosts struggling to make up the deficit in numbers as they opened the new campaign with a loss.

Buxton: Jameson, Ludlam, Palmer, Young, Green, Istead, Niven, Williams (Stevens 79), King, Hardy, Tuton (Taylor 90).

Attendance: 260