Bucks suffer bad day at the office

Evo-Stik Premier Division

Worksop Town 3

Buxton 0

AFTER conceding two early goals, Buxton met defeat for only the third time in 20 matches last Saturday.

The big Worksop side took full advantage of their size and all three goals resulted from their aerial prowess.

The rot set in with a mere two minutes gone after Jackson had taken Worksop’s first corner kick from the left. Six-foot-plus defender Shiels headed in after Scott Hartley couldn’t reach the cross.

Buxton’s response set-up Steve Ridley for a 20-yard shot that cleared the bar, before ex-Boston striker Mikel Suarez made a threatening left-side run that saw Tommy Agus avert the danger at the expense of a corner.

However, only a minute later, Suarez doubled Town’s advantage with an unchallenged, far-post header as he profited from Bacon’s right-flank cross.

Worksop threatened more goals as striker Tomlinson fired in three hefty drives in quick succession. A smart Hartley save at the near post thwarted the first, the keeper made a diving save to keep out the second while the third narrowly cleared the bar.

But on 34 minutes, Town effectively put the game beyond Buxton. A Bettney corner fell to Suarez and he shot home from close range.

Sam Liversidge was introduced in a major reshuffle and immediately the visitors pieced together the game’s best move. Agus drove forward on the left, played a neat one-two with Mark Reed, but keeper Kennedy kept out the defender’s powerful shot with his legs.

Worksop finished the half on top as Gregg Anderson couldn’t clear his lines with successive headers, but Tomlinson drove wide of the target.

After the interval, the Bucks enjoyed their best spell of the match as their midfield imposed a degree of control and the attack, now augmented by Agus, exerted some pressure, aided by a sequence of five consecutive free-kicks.

Even so, no clear openings were created and by three-quarter time Town threatened again, with Tomlinson placing a 20-yard shot narrowly wide of goal.

Town’s player-manager McIntosh got in a header from a corner, saved low by Hartley.

Then central defensive kingpin Anderson turned an ankle on the hard, uneven surface and left the arena on crutches, something which may have a serious impact on Buxton’s end of season prospects.

Buxton: Hartley, Black (Askey, 70), Anderson, Agus, Wilde, Stevens (Liversidge, 35), Towey, Maguire, Ridley, Reed, Lugsden (Ovington, 63). Attendance: 285.