Bucks hold on for victory under late Grantham pressure

Buxton FC v Lancaster, joint manager Paul Phillips
Buxton FC v Lancaster, joint manager Paul Phillips

Buxton survived a late onslaught by visiting Grantham Town to hold onto a 1-0 victory on Tuesday night.

Ashley Young’s deflected first half effort proved to be the difference between the sides in the end but it took the woodwork and some great goalkeeping and desperate defending to keep the struggling visitors at bay as they pressed hard for an equaliser at the end.

The win kept the Bucks in fifth place, six points behind leaders Scarborough with two games in hand and a game at Scarborough looming on Tuesday after Saturday’s trip to ninth-placed Farsley.

A crowd of 311 saw Buxton win a second game in a row.

Brad Grayson tested keeper Theo Richardson with two early shots, one forcing a superb save, the second more comfortable.

Then Tolani Omotola wasted a great chance as he turned on the six yard line only to fire his finish straight at the keeper.

Alex Brown pulled another chance wide as Grantham struggled to contain Buxton’s lively start.

However, keeper Theo Roberts did have to pull off a great save when Jack McGovern broke clean through.

Grayson had another shot deflect for a corner and then came even closer as he beat the keeper with a thunderous shot that smashed back off the crossbar.

But the goal wasn’t long in coming as Young’s long range shot on 39 minutes took a deflection and left the Grantham keeper with no chance.

After the break Roberts had to make a save to keep out the visitors, who were much more in the contest and had an effort from a corner disallowed.

Omotola could have sealed it when he went clean through, but Richardson kept Grantham in the game with his stop.

Encouraged, the visitors went forward again and another Grantham effort saw Roberts superbly tip the finish over his bar.

The Bucks had two more chances as Diego De Girolamo chested the ball down to Grayson for a shot that hit the ground before looping over, then Richardson made a great save to deny De Girolamo on the turn.

Grantham were furious when they thought Ryan Oliver was pulled down in the box, his header still hitting a post.

There was then a late scare in the five added minutes when Grantham won a corner and sent their keeper up. Roberts tipped the ball onto the bar superbly and Buxton were finally able to clear a goalmouth scramble and hold on to what they’d got.