Bucks hit six to dispose of Radcliffe in action-packed League Cup encounter

Jamie Jackson, in action against King's Lynn on Saturday, scored the opener against Radcliffe.
Jamie Jackson, in action against King's Lynn on Saturday, scored the opener against Radcliffe.

Buxton progressed to the second round of the Integro League Cup on Tuesday night with a 6-2 win at home to Division One North side Radcliffe Borough.

The game had everything - eight goals, two red cards, a contender for goal of the season and even some family history as the Bucks eased through in some style.

Radcliffe must be sick of the sight of the Silverlands after this six-goal mauling on top of the 5-1 FA Trophy’drubbing a year ago, yet it could have been even worse but for visiting keeper Haslam twice saving penalty kicks, taken first by Nicky Walker and then by Fabrice Bembo-Leta, inside ten second-half minutes with his side already 4-1 down.

With several senior players rested, Buxton’s reconstructed team seized the initiative midway through the first-half with two goals in three minutes through Jamie Jackson, who headed home a Walker cross from close range, then Kegan Everington bursting into the penalty area and netting from 15 yards.

Just prior to the interval the Bucks’ made it 3-0 courtesy of George Milner, back from his dual registration with Clipstone for his first Buxton outing since August and scoring in similar fashion to Everington.

Radcliffe, however, had the encouragement of pulling a goal back just three minutes into the second-half, Elliot Rokka’s 20-yard shot squirming past debutant ‘keeper Jack Barlow.

The 51st minute brought a special moment as development squad member Nick Bainbridge was introduced as substitute to become the third generation of the family, after the late John and then record appearance-maker David, to play for the club.

Just four minutes later his fine pass set up Walker for a cross that Bradley Grayson shot home to make it 4-1 but poor marking allowed Rokka to score again for Borough by the hour mark.

Then the first penalty award reduced the visitors to ten men, the defender being sent off for the foul on Walker but the one-man advantage disappeared 11 minutes later as debutant centre-back Leon Owen was dismissed on receipt of a second yellow card.

Only a minute later, Fabrice Bembo-Leta,in his first full appearance of the campaign, made up for his penalty miss with a spectacular strike from just short of 30 yards.

On a night when brother Joel was appointed captain for the first time, Fabrice’s fiercely-struck drive found the top-right corner of the Railway End goal.

Milner completed the scoring in the 79th minute after he and Walker had neatly worked a two-on-two counter, Milner rounding the keeper to slot home and send the Bucks into round two with a flourish.

Buxton: Barlow; Williams, Owen, J Bembo-Leta, Green; Milner, F Bembo-Leta, Everington (Potter 69), Walker; Grayson, Jackson (Bainbridge 51). Unused subs: Budtz, Burns, Young.