Battling Buxton narrowly beaten by Stourbridge despite late fightback


Buxton came to stealing an unlikely point with the very last action on Saturday as they were beaten 3-2 by F.A.Cup heroes Stourbridge.

In the fourth and last minute of added time Jamie Green’s expertly delivered corner was headed fagainst the bar by Greg Young.

Such a situation had seemed highly improbable 20 minutes earlier when some ineffective defending allowed substitute Heath to cross low for Brown’s comfortable tap-in to make it 3-0.

However Bradley Grayson found the net in the 83rd minute for what seemed a mere consolation.

The Bucks continued to have an even share of possession without looking particularly threatening, but a 91st-minute corner produced a second goal for Grayson.

Clearly rattled the Glassboys now faced the added threat of Greg Young joining the attack and the outcome was that last fateful corner-kick.

The first quarter of the match was very much dominated by the referee.

Stourbridge opened the scoring through a Luke Benbow free-kick after the referee controversially gave a foul.

Ten minutes later the ref was stretchered off with a leg injury,causing a 12-minute delay.

For a time play was scrappy but veteran Ricky Ravenhill, in the thick of the midfield action, was a star for the visitors, while the bright and busy Fabrice was justifying his selection.

First-half added time provided plenty of goalmouth action. The ball broke kindly for `Glassboys’ striker Richards, but Budtz saved the resulting shot with his legs.

Then Lait fired a fierce 20-yarder at the `keeper from which the latter hurled an accurate 40-yard throw to set off Buxton’s most fluent attack to date before Jackson curled a 20-yard shot but directly at home `keeper Gould.

Buxton made a positive, promising start to the second period amid further curious refereeing decisions that puzzled both sides.

But Benbow, just short of the hour, showed high quality. Taking advantage of a midfield error and then seeing Budtz a little off his line, his 30-yard shot dipped under the bar to make it 2-0.

The Bucks persevered in attack but Stourbridge’s third goal seemed to have extinguished their hopes until those exciting last few minutes arrived.