Cup glory as Hawk Green win battle of the heavyweights

Hawk Green won the battle of the Intersport Monkhouse Derbyshire & Cheshire Cricket League Division One heavyweights as they beat visiting Mottram in the Bissenden Cup final by six wickets.

Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 3:25 pm
Updated Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 4:29 pm

Mottram won the toss and elected to bat, opening with Andy Metcalfe and Pete Broscombe, the latter being the first to fall in the 6th over for just five as he was caught low at first slip by Sam Messih off the bowling of Mark Stringer with the score on 23.

The total had progressed to 39 when Ryan Fitton fell for six with Mottram captain Stefan Fielding joining Metcalfe at the crease.

They put on a superb partnership of 121 with Metcalfe bringing up a fine century before being bowled by Pete Richards for 104.

With 11 overs to go and the score on 160-3 Mottram tried to increase the run rate, but regular wickets fell with Jordan Irons and Josh Smith both getting ducks, leaving Jordan Henderson on a hat-trick.

Adam Hilton also went cheaply (2) as he was bowled by Richards.

Oliver Andrew briefly stemmed the wickets as he scored 15 before being run out by Jason Downey.

A. Burke could only add one before being bowled by Downey and when Stefan Fielding was run out, again by Downey, for a superb 63 Mottram had stuttered to 209-9.

Liam Wright and Mike Scott added five for the final wicket before Scott was run out off the last ball by Ryan Stringer, Mottram setting Hawk Green 215 to win.

Hawk Green started their reply in nervy fashion losing Josh Hampson in the first over, as he was caught high at first slip for a duck by Fielding off the bowling of Mike Scott.

The score had only progressed to 11 when his fellow opener Sam Messih was lbw to Scott for one.

Pete Richards then fell for 16 when he was caught behind in the ninth over. With Jack and Paul Needham at the crease and the required run rate creeping over six an over, the pair managed their innings well, picking up regular boundaries and steadying the Hawk Green reply with Jack Needham eventually out caught and bowled to Ryan Fitton for 46.

This brought dangerman Jordan Henderson to the crease and from ball one he looked intent on winning the game.

Both he and Paul Needham continued to find the rope regularly and neither looked troubled as their target loomed, Needham ending up unbeaten on 70 and Henderson finishing with three back to back fours to reach 71 and spark celebrations amongst the Hawk Green players and fans.

Henderson picked up the JS Hall Man of the Match award for his 2-22 and 71 not out as Pete Richards lifted the trophy for the triumphant Hawk Green.