Two Ripley women assaulted six victims during a night-out

Two young women who launched a series of assaults involving six victims during a night-out have narrowly escaped being put behind bars.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 14th January 2016, 11:17 am
Updated Thursday, 14th January 2016, 11:29 am
Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court recently heard how Laura Hutsby, 20, and Nikita Burton, 21, had been in the Association nightspot, in Ripley, when Burton targeted her ex-partner’s sister Natalie Davis over a dispute.

Prosecuting solicitor Neil Hoodless said: “Nikita Burton had been in a relationship with Gareth Davis who is the brother of Natalie and this relationship had ended acrimoniously and there were issues with all parties.

“Complainant Natalie Davis was on the dance floor and was approached by defendant Burton who grabbed her by the hair and pulled her to the ground and as she tried to get up Burton bit the back of her neck.

“Two others, Lisa and Katrina Snowball, became involved and they were set upon by Hutsby and she grabbed Lisa Snowball and swung her round into a mirror and as Katrina went to help Hutsby grabbed her hair.”

Door staff evicted Hutsby and Burton, according to Mr Hoodless, but they crossed paths with Natalie Davis in a takeaway where Burton grabbed and scuffled with Natalie and stamped on her phone.

The court also heard how the two defendants then went to the home of Natalie Davis’ parents Peter and Julie and when they came out Hutsby punched Mr Davis and Burton punched and kicked Mrs Davis.

As police arrived, Hutsby also assaulted Sgt Gareth Stray.

Following a trial, Hutsby, of Holly Avenue, Ripley, was found guilty of assaulting Lisa Snowball, Katrina Snowball and Peter Davis and she pleaded guilty to assaulting Sgt Stray after the fracas in June, last year.

Burton, of Hazeltree Close, Ripley, was found guilty of assaulting Julie Davis and pleaded guilty to assaulting Natalie Davis and damaging her phone.

The probation service revealed how Hutsby, who works at the Card factory, in Ripley, had said it had been an alcohol-fuelled night and she had little to do with the dispute.

Hutsby also told the probation service that it had been the worst night of her life and she regretted attacking the police officer.

Defence solicitor Stacey Mighty said that if Burton had not been under the influence of alcohol the incident would not have happened.

Magistrates sentenced Hutsby to 24 weeks detention suspended for 18 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement. She must pay £382 in costs and £220 in compensation.

Burton was sentenced to 24 weeks of custody suspended for 18 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement. She was ordered to pay £382 costs and £500 in compensation.

Both were also given a restraining order during sentencing on January 4 to last until July, 2017.