Tributes to those who helped Tyler

Tyler Furness, premature baby who lost his struggle for life.
Tyler Furness, premature baby who lost his struggle for life.

The parents of Tyler Furness, who lost his battle with chronic lung disease, have paid tribute to the amazing medical staff who cared for their son.

Buxton couple Kelly Gilbride and Nathan Furness praised the efforts of the teams at the three hospitals that treated him and thanked friends and family for their support.

The couple, who developed a strong bond with the nursing staff, said: “We want to say thank you to all the nurses, doctors and consultants – they were brilliant with him.”

Tyler was born in February 2011, more than 12 weeks early, weighing just 1lb 3oz. He spent several months in the neonatal units at Stepping Hill and Wythenshawe Hospitals before being allowed home, but his condition meant he spent very little time there.

For the last six months Tyler was in Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool with his parents staying in accommodation provided by the Ronald McDonald charity. He lost his battle with lung disease on March 11.

Kelly said: “They had not seen a baby like Tyler at Liverpool. They had seen a lot of babies but none had lung disease as severe as his so there was nothing to compare him to.”

In other ways Tyler was developing as he should and was a very happy child. Nathan said: “He was always happy even when he was ill.”

But as he put on weight it caused further problems. “Basically he was growing but his lungs weren’t growing with him,” explained Kelly.

To thank the hospital staff, and to help other babies, family and friends set up the Light at the End fund and held various fundraising events including a 150-mile coast to coast bike ride.

A funeral service took place on Tuesday at St Peter’s Church in Fairfield.

Donations made will go to Ronald McDonald House at Alder Hey, a charity which provides parents with somewhere to stay while their children are in the hospital.

The family would like to say a big thank you to Bernard Kenney, funeral director, for his help and support at this very difficult time.