Buxton has been named as one of the best places to live by a national newspaper.
Click here for more.
This comes as no great surprise to me to be honest.
It’s a lovely town and does have a lot going for it.
So here’s my look at some of the best things about Buxton.
1. There’s a fantastic community spirit here. In recent years we’ve seen the formation of a number of organisations like Buxton Town Team, all established with the aim of improving life for the town’s residents. From organising events to attracting international visitors, it’s all helping to really put Buxton on the map.
2. Buxton is a beautiful place. When the sun is shining there’s no better place to be. We’re surrounded by stunning architecture and beautiful scenery and what’s even better is we can enjoy most of it for free. There’s nothing nicer on a lovely summer day than sitting in the Pavilion Gardens or enjoying a walk up through Grinlow Woods to Solomon’s Temple.
3. We really know how to put on an event. From the annual carnival to the spring fair, Buxton has a host of wonderful community activities that bring everyone together. It’s always such a fantastic feeling seeing the town alive with people and with a fantastic atmosphere on these days. And we’re obviously doing something right as people travel from far and wide to enjoy our events.
4. The Peak District. There’s miles and miles of beautiful countryside on our doorstep. Enough said.
5. The buildings. From the Crescent to the Dome and the Old Hall Hotel and the Opera House, many of them are a feature in themselves.
6. It’s a safe place to live. It’s rare we have a serious crime in Buxton. Here at the Advertiser we frequently get grief for reporting minor crime like car fires and thefts but I’d much rather that than be repeatedly hearing about serious offences like murder, wouldn’t you?
7. The people. It’s a very friendly town where we look out for each other. I’ve been touched massively over my years working at the Advertiser by just how keen and willing we are help to each other out in our hour of need. Whether it’s fundraising for someone or something else, you can always rely on your fellow Buxtonians.
8. Food and drink - Buxton is jam-packed with fantastic eateries and places to sample a relaxing drink. We’ve had a number of new restaurants and bars open in recent years so you’re certainly never short of somewhere to enjoy a romantic meal, catch up with friends, or start your night on the town.
What do you think? What’s your favourite thing about living in Buxton? Comment below or email me at email@example.com and let me know.