Rise in call outs for mountain rescue team

THE recent spell of good weather saw a rise in call outs for Buxton Mountain Rescue team.

In a little over a week the team was called out seven times to assist twelve casualties in three counties. The final tally was eight walkers, three climbers and a mountain biker.

Chairman of Buxton Mountain Rescue Team, Roger Bennett, said: “We predicted that the fine weather would create some work for us.

“So many call outs is difficult for volunteers to deal with and I am especially grateful to employers who allow our members time off at such short notice. I say the same thank you to all the families and members’ partners who have their weekends disrupted.”

On Saturday six walkers were reported to be stuck on the face of Mam Tor near Castleton.

The steep loose shale face looks temptingly easy to climb but in fact is potentially lethal.

Buxton and Edale rescue teams both responded and four of the walkers were quickly led to safety. The fifth took a little more encouragement whilst the remaining sixth required a technical rope rescue. All were unharmed.

Then on Sunday, October 2, Buxton MRT was called to The Roaches in Staffordshire where a 25-year-old climber had fallen some 10 metres, bouncing off ledges and landing on boulders.

A doctor was first on scene and quickly summoned help from the emergency services. The deteriorating weather meant that an air-ambulance could not fly in the conditions and calling an RAF Seaking helicopter would take too long. The team therefore carried the seriously injured student off the crag and down to a waiting land ambulance.

Just as this incident was closing Buxton team was redeployed to Grin Low Woods in Buxton where a walker had suffered a hip injury and was unable to continue.

The casualty was treated on site by East Midlands ambulance paramedics whilst the team was driving from The Roaches call. Quickly placed on a stretcher, the casualty was carried by team members to Pooles Cavern Car Park where the ambulance was waiting.