POLICE in the High Peak are advising how to stay safe during the festive season as part of a seasonal campaign to help prevent crime and anti-social behaviour in the run up to Christmas.
Officers are reminding people to celebrate safely and responsibly during the party season by following these tips:
* Plan your night out, including how you will get there and back.
* Tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back.
* Nominate a designated driver and don’t accept lifts from people you don’t know well.
* Put aside enough money for the taxi fare home and only use licensed taxis.
* Stay with your friends and avoid travelling home alone.
* Look after your friends and colleagues.
* Pace your drinking and stay within your own limits. Alcohol can stop you from being in control and can influence your choices.
* Only accept drinks from those you trust and keep your drink with you at all times.
* Look confident and stay in well-lit areas and public places.
* Keep personal property secure and close to you. Don’t flash your cash or mobile phone.
* Be aware of your surroundings, especially when at cash points or using your mobile phone.
Community Safety Inspector Shaun Woodcock said: “Officers will be patrolling locally on busy nights and we are working closely with partnership organisations and staff at licensed premises to minimise the risks of nuisance or danger.”