Firefighters reveal cause of Hope Valley house blaze

Two people were rescued from a house blaze yesterday.
Two people were rescued from a house blaze yesterday.

An investigation into a fire at a property in Hope Valley has confirmed that the cause of the blaze was attributed to a fault in the extractor fan in the kitchen.

Firefighters were called to reports of a house fire with the occupants trapped upstairs, on Castleton Road, Hope, just before 6am yesterday.

On arrival, crews were met by a fire in a kitchen and smoke logging to the ground floor of the property.

A man and a woman were rescued from the upstairs of the property by firefighters via a ladder before being assessed for smoke inhalation by East Midlands Ambulance Service.

Station manager, Paul Moreland, said: “Thankfully this property had working smoke alarms that alerted the sleeping occupants to the fire enabling them to call 999. This further highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted.

“Firefighters acted quickly and professionally to rescue two casualties from the upstairs of the property and the control room staff stayed in contact with the casualties giving advice and reassuring them over the phone until firefighters arrived at the scene.”