Fire service warning on electric appliances

Share this article

PEOPLE in the High Peak are being reminded to take care with electrical appliances as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week.

Statistics show that half of all accidental house fires in 2010/11 were caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment – from faulty fridges to dodgy plugs and wiring.

As part of this week’s event, the Fire Kills Campaign and Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service are promoting key electrical safety messages to keep residents safe.

Advice which has been issued includes: don’t overload plug sockets; regularly check for worn or frayed wires; unplug appliances when not in use; keep appliances clean and in good working order; keep the area surrounding your electrical intake meter free of combustible items; consider using an RCD (Residual Current Device) which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduce the risk of electrical fires; and make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home.

In 2010, accidental electrical fires in the home resulted in nearly 40 deaths across the country.