Fight continues against 107 new Whaley Bridge homes

Planning story
Planning story

“The fight is not over”, say campaigners against the construction of 107 new homes in Whaley Bridge.

A reserved matters application for the controversial development, earmarked for land off Linglongs Road, is to be determined by High Peak Borough Council.

The authority has now extended the consultation period on this until November 16 to give residents time to submit their views.

Campaigners say the plans have changed so much since the original planning permission was granted for the site back in 2015, and that developer Barratt Homes should resubmit the application rather than make amendments.

Russ Broome, from Whaley Bridge Matters, said: “We have a voice and we will be heard, and we will keep fighting against the new development.

“It was disappointing the council allowed the application to proceed this far without giving important aspects the scrutiny they deserve.

“As a result, we now find ourselves in a situation whereby the flood risk cannot be properly mitigated at the reserved matters stage.

“However, I am really glad High Peak Borough Council is taking us seriously and has asked for more information, and re-opened the consultation process to discuss the updated plans.”

Barratt Homes, which has taken on the development from Gladman, has outline permission to build 107 new homes on greenfield land off Linglongs Road.

If rubber-stamped, the development would feature a mixture of two and three-bedroom semi-detached and four and five-bedroom detached properties, with associated access and parking. The reserved matters application has been revised and includes more detailed plans.

The reserved matters application has so far had more than 80 letters of objection.

However, Barratt Homes has said in a revised online flood risk assessment documents for the application: “Should the on-site drainage system fail under extreme rainfall events or blockage, flooding may occur within the site.

“Any resultant floodwater will be routed along the highway corridor network towards areas of public open space or the eastern drainage channel.”

The reserved matters application is due to go before the borough council’s planning committee at the end of the month.