A Buxton property suffered significant structural damage after an explosion caused by an aerosal can being left on top of a wood burner.
Two fire crews were called to Ash Street at 8.31pm on Sunday.
On arrival, firefighters found significant structural damage to the front of a two storey house.
An aerosol canister that had been left on a solid fuel burner ruptured, resulting in the ignition of the released gas which caused an over pressure in the property. This then caused the upvc window to be blown out into the street.
The three occupants who were in the property at the time of the incident were taken to hospital for precautionary checks.
Fire Investigator, Station Manager Adam Hind said, “Luckily everyone that was in the house at the time were able to Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999, however this could have been very different. It’s absolutely devastating to see the extensive damage that can be caused by something as simple as leaving an aerosol canister near a source of heat.
“Most people will have at least one aerosol can in their homes, whether it be air fresheners, deodorant or hair spray. I’d ask people to always store any aerosol canisters away from any heat source/naked flame.”
An investigation has been carried out which concluded that the most probable cause was the aerosol can being left on top of a wood burner.
Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service is now reminding people of the following fire safety advice:
* Do not put aerosols on a bonfire, even when they are empty, because they will explode and may cause injury.
* Do not pierce aerosols, even when they are empty, because there is always some pressure, and possibly some of the product left. It may be flammable or cause injury if you pierce the can.
* Keep aerosols out of direct sunlight and in a cold dry place away from heat. The pressure inside the can increases greatly in the heat and may cause it to burst.
* You should never keep aerosols inside cars because even in winter temperatures can rise quickly. You should keep them in the boot.
* Do not spray it on, or near a naked flame or fire.
* Do not smoke when you are using an aerosol or just afterwards.
* Do not spray near any heat or source of ignition (such as a pilot light or candle).
* Keep aerosols away from children.