Driver questioned after pensioner dies in Chesterfield coach crash

The scene of the crash.
The scene of the crash.

A pensioner from Stockport who died after being hit by a coach in Chesterfield was in the town to sort out his personal banking, an inquest heard.

At about 1.20pm on Wednesday, February 25, a National Express coach hit Donald Wooley, 87, as it pulled out from the bus station on to Beetwell Street.

Mr Wooley, of Beechway, High Lane, Stockport, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Speaking at the opening of his inquest at Chesterfield coroners’ court this afternoon, Sergeant Carl Scrimshaw, of Derbyshire police, said: “Mr Wooley was doing some personal banking in Chesterfield on the day.

“He crossed from the shopping centre side of Beetwell Street in the direction of the bus depot.

“He was halfway across the road when a National Express coach turned right towards the police station, striking him.

“First aid was given by members of the public but Mr Wooley sadly died at the scene.”

Sgt Scrimshaw said the coach driver was interviewed by police after the fatal collision.

The road was closed until 5.45pm while police carried out inquiries.

A National Express spokesman said: “We can confirm one of our vehicles was involved in an incident with a pedestrian while leaving Chesterfield coach station last week, which sadly proved to be fatal.

“Emergency services attended the scene and we will continue to provide any assistance as needed.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the gentleman involved at this difficult time.”

Dad-of-two and grandfather Mr Wooley was a retired motor trader who was a widower, the court heard.

Coroner Dr Robert Hunter said provisional post-mortem results showed Mr Wooley died of multiple injuries.

Mr Hunter adjourned the inquest to a later date.

A Derbyshire police spokesman said: “Officers from the collision investigation unit are carrying out a thorough investigation into the circumstances of the crash and are asking witnesses to contact them on 101, quoting incident number 287 of 25/0/2015.”