Disley GP struck off medical register for pursuing two patients

editorial image

A doctor has been struck off the medical register for pursuing relationships with two patients.

A Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) hearing found that Dr Rahul Mittal, a GP at the Schoolhouse Surgery in Disley, had acted inappropriately.

Between December 5 2012 and April 2 2013 he ‘pursued an improper emotional relationship with a patient’ after getting her address from medical files.

He then pursued a second patient after getting her address and mobile number from her records, calling at her home uninvited and engaging in sexual activity with her. He attempted to conceal the relationship, telling her to delete text messages.

The MPTS Fitness to Practise Panel found his actions on the emotionally vulnerable women to be sexually motivated.

The women referred to as ‘Patient A’ and ‘Patient B’ in the report, complained about Dr Mittal. The first in a consultation with another doctor, the second in a letter.

Patient A said that ‘Dr Mittal had visited her at her home on many occasions, always uninvited and that they had exchanged many text messages and phone calls.

He also persuaded her she did not need to see a doctor. The report states: “The panel was in no doubt that Dr Mittal was concerned that his and Patient B’s ‘secret’ would be uncovered if she went to the surgery and it was satisfied that his actions referred to at paragraph 10 of the allegation were designed to conceal his relationship with Patient B.”

It concludes: “The panel found that Dr Mittal’s sexually motivated and predatory behaviour towards two emotionally vulnerable patients constituted a particularly serious departure from, and blatant disregard for, the principles set out in GMP. Dr Mittal’s actions caused unwarranted psychological harm to both Patient A and Patient B and,in pursuing improper relationships with them, he abused his position of trust, exploited their vulnerability and put his own sexually motivated interests above their interests.”

His registration was suspended in order to satisfy the public interest, and primarily to protect patients.

Dr Mittal did not respond to the notice of hearing and other documents which were sent to him about the hearing.

In December 2012 he started working as an GP at the Schoolhouse Surgery in Disley. He left the surgery in April 2013 and began another placement, at Alderley Edge Medical Centre, where he worked until August 2013. He then took up a placement in Buxton.