Police suspected Buxton crash driver had been drinking, court told

High Peak Magistrates' Court.
High Peak Magistrates' Court.

Police called to a crash in the centre of Buxton believed the driver of one of the vehicles had been drinking, a court was told.

Officers were called to the junction of Manchester Road and St John’s Road just before midnight on September 13, High Peak Magistrates’ Court heard.

John Cooper, prosecuting, said the collision involved a mini-bus and a Seat Leon car. There was no-one inside the vehicles, but six people were sitting together nearby.

Luke Paul Shelley, 23, was seen to have blood dripping from the side of his head and was identified by others as being the driver of the Seat Leon.

Mr Cooper said officers believed Shelley had been drinking as he was swaying, smelt of drink, was unsteady on his feet and slurring his words. He also had difficulty spelling his name.

Shelley told officers he had not realised it was a junction.

He failed a roadside breath test and was arrested, before being taken to Stepping Hill Hospital. He refused to provide a blood sample.

Shelley pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for analysis and driving without insurance.

Kirsten Collings, defending, said: “He accepts he was the driver and he accepts he was over the limit.”

She said Shelley was unfamiliar with the area and thought the end of St John’s Road continued into Manchester Road, not realising there was a junction.

“He carried on and was involved in a collision,” she explained.

The court was told the matter of no insurance was an oversight as the defendant had changed vehicles and had not known his direct debit had failed and that he was not insured.

“This is not a case where someone deliberately gets into a vehicle that is not insured,” Mrs Collings added.

“He had not checked his finances and found himself without cover.”

Shelley, of Fair View Road, Leek, was banned from driving for 14 months, but was given the option of reducing the ban by completing a drink-driver rehabilitation course. He was also ordered to pay £621 in fines and costs.