High Peak teenager who made bogus robbery claim avoids jail

High Peak Magistrates Court, Buxton.
High Peak Magistrates Court, Buxton.

A teenager has been given a suspended prison sentence after crashing his car into a bollard and then lying to police that it had been stolen in a robbery.

Officers on duty in Glossop town centre at just after midnight on January 4 noticed a Skoda Fabia driving without lights on, High Peak Magistrates’ Court heard.

He knows that his decision making process failed him quite significantly and it is not something he would do again.

Kirsten Collings, solicitor

They followed the vehicle for a short distance before losing sight of it, prosecutor John Cooper said. An area search was carried out and during the search, two officers were flagged down by a man running down Philip Howard Road towards High Street West.

He identified himself as Mehmet Karaoglan and said his car had been stolen so he was running after it.

He said he had been at a friend’s house drinking and had gone to get his mobile phone from his car but that he had fallen unconscious after a robbery and when he came round the car had been stolen.

Karaoglan claimed to been injured during the robbery so an ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital, but later discharged himself before being seen.

The Skoda was found at the junction of Duke Street and Mount Street at just before 1am, having collided with a bollard, causing extensive damage to the car, the bollard and the pavement, Mr Cooper said.

Two traffic units and nine patrol officers were immediately assigned to the area to investigate the robbery with more officers, including some from Buxton CID, assigned the next day.

During their investigation, officers became suspicious and repeatedly gave Karaoglan the chance to withdraw his report of a robbery but he maintained it until his second interview when he admitted it was false.

He said he only had a provisional licence and had panicked when he saw the police, losing control and colliding with the bollard.

The 19-year-old, of Edale Close, admitted causing wasteful employment of police, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence, using a vehicle without insurance and driving without reasonal consideration to other users.

Kirsten Collings, defending, said: “He knows that his decision making process failed him quite significantly and it is not something he would do again.

“No doubt it is partly down to his age, he is only 19 years of age. He is a very young man coming before the adult court for the first time.

“The most positive thing in his life is perhaps his job. It is the first real job he has had since leaving education. If he loses his liberty today, he will lose that.”

Karaoglan was jailed for eight weeks, suspended for 18 months for the wasteful employment of police offence. He must also attend a thinking skills programme and pay costs of £85 and a surcharge of £80. There was no separate penalty for the other offences but his licence was endorsed with eight penalty points.