Head-butted custody officer

A woman who head-butted a custody officer at Buxton police station after being arrested for earlier punching her boyfriend’s mum could remember little about the incidents, a court heard.

Lyndsey Louise Bernadette Young, 19, had been at a party on the evening of April 17 where she drank vodka and coke.

Jennifer Fitzgerald, prosecuting, said Young and her boyfriend Tom Comer had begun arguing at a party before returning to the New Mills home of his mum Judith, where they both lived, in the early hours.

Ms Fitzgerald said Ms Comer could hear arguing and items being smashed before she heard Young go into the kitchen and open and close drawers before returning upstairs.

“Ms Comer heard more arguing and Tom eventually shouted for his mother,” said Ms Fitzgerald.

“She went and found him restraining this defendant, and a knife was close by.”

High Peak magistrates were told there was a struggle and all three fell downstairs. Ms Comer then tried to intervene between the two and Young punched her in the face.

Following Young’s arrest she was taken to Buxton police station where she became aggressive when a £10 note and a cigarette were taken from her – head-butting a Custody Detention Officer.

Lisa Tinsley, defending, said her client, who admitted both assaults, was extremely remorseful for her actions.

“She remembers virtually nothing. She remembers going to the party but doesn’t remember having an argument with her boyfriend. This is due to the amount of alcohol she had drunk that night.”

The court was told that Young’s father had died in January and she had been drinking more and accepted she had a problem with alcohol.

Ms Tinsley said Young was still with her boyfriend and were living with her mum, at Buxton Road, Disley, due to her bail conditions.

“She understands through her boyfriend that once these proceedings are over his mother is willing for them to come back and live with her,” said Ms Tinsley.

Magistrates adjourned the case until June 1 for reports to be prepared.