Drunk teen punched police officer in the face and head-butted vehicle, court told

High Peak Magistrates Court, Buxton.
High Peak Magistrates Court, Buxton.
Share this article

A police officer was punched in the face by a drunk New Mills teenager during an unprovoked attack, a court heard.

PC Anna Woodhouse had been called to a separate incident on Whaley Lane in Whaley Bridge just after midnight on December 20 when she was approached by Ashley Scott Gluyas, 19.

John Cooper, prosecuting, said Gluyas was agitated so she told him to calm down, but he walked up to the officer and punched her in the face

Other officers arrived and Gluyas, who smelt strongly of drink, was arrested.

Mr Cooper said police suspected he was also under the influence of drugs, so he was taken to Macclesfield Hospital.

“As the defendant was being transported he was screaming and refusing to calm down, and head-butted the side of the vehicle,” said Mr Cooper.

Gluyas continued to shout and swear at the hospital in an incoherent manner. He seemed to calm down after being restrained, but began threatening a doctor when he saw a needle.

When interviewed by police, Gluyas said he had attended a party at a pub and had been drinking, but had no recollection of leaving the establishment and was shocked when informed about his behaviour.

Gluyas, of Derby Road, New Mills, admitted assaulting the police officer and using threatening behaviour.

James Riley, representing the apprentice painter and decorator, said: “His aggressive behaviour was due to his intoxication. He doesn’t remember anything, but can only apologise for his behaviour towards the police officer and at the hospital.”

The court heard Gluyas had been told by friends that following the party, they had visited a house and consumed more alcohol, before he left and approached the officer.

Mr Riley said: “This is clearly a serious incident and one that could have been avoided.”

He said officers had been called to an unrelated incident and there had been no reason for Gluyas’ actions.

Gluyas was given a 12-month community order with an eight-week curfew, between the hours of 7pm and 7am, and a rehabilitation activity requirement.

Magistrate Hilary Batterbee told him: “The assault was unprovoked and it was a serious ongoing incident.”

Gluyas must also pay £150 compensation to PC Woodhouse, as well as costs and a surcharge totalling £145.