Coroner rules Chelmorton man’s death not industrial

editorial image

A coroner has ruled that the death of a Chelmorton antiques restorer, was not related to his hot, damp working conditions.

An inquest into the death of Rodger Goodwin, who collapsed at his home on Main Street on July 14, 2013, found that he could have died at any point from an underlying heart disease his family were unaware of.

Chesterfield court heard on Tuesday that pathologists could not rule out occupational health problems such at hot tub lung, caused by inhaling bacteria in steam, and farmer’s lung, caused by breathing in dust.

But coroner Paul McCandless confirmed that the 62-year-old pine stripper would not have died from them alone. He recorded the cause of death as natural due to coronary heart disease.

Widow Susan Goodwin said: “When something happens as suddenly as it did, you start questioning why has this happened. You draw in knowledge of what was happening at the time. That’s why we questioned the heat, because it was something that distressed him an awful lot but I recognise it would have happened regardless of that.”

Speaking on behalf of her son Richard Goodwin, she said: “We’re both relieved.”