Buxton mum died after taking too much prescribed medication

Our thoughts are with Emma Bodill's loved ones.
Our thoughts are with Emma Bodill's loved ones.

A Buxton mother died after taking too much prescribed medication, an inquest heard.

Emma Bodill, 41, passed away at her home on Granby Road on September 1 last year.

On Friday, Chesterfield coroners’ court was told Ms Bodill had a history of mental health issues and chronic pain.

She took prescribed medication including the pain relief drug codeine, zopiclone – which is used in the treatment of insomnia – and diazepam, which produces a calming effect on people.

Coroner Peter Nieto said: “Ms Bodill died at her home address as a result of the toxic effects of taking excess prescribed medication, namely a high dose of codeine at a level recognised as capable of causing death.

“On the evidence presented to the court she had developed a tolerance to the codeine and it is likely that she took an excess dose to achieve what she felt to be a measure of symptom control,” he added.

Mr Nieto concluded that Ms Bodill died as a result of an accident.