A Buxton bartender has shaken and stirred his way into the final of a global cocktail competition.
Mancháin Monaghan, of Monk Bar on Cavendish Circus, is the toast of the nation after winning the UK heats of the prestigious Angostura® Global Cocktail Challenge.
Mannie will now jet-off to Trinidad and go head-to-head against finalists from across the globe for the chance to be crowned Angostura® Global Cocktail Challenge Champion and claim $10,000 in prize money. The winner will also become the global brand’s ambassador for the next two years.
“The whole competition was a lot of fun,” explained Mannie, whose cocktail concoctions ‘Cure All to Cure All’ and ‘Three-Part Harmony’ delighted the heat judges during London Cocktail Week.
“The regional heat was great for showcasing the level of talent of bartenders in the North, as well as the breadth of talent with bartenders competing from Manchester, Newcastle, Aberdeen and Liverpool.
“My favourite part though is the good times had with your fellow competitors.
“Yes, everyone wants to take the win, but it’s great to meet new people whose recipes can inspire you, and whose personalities remind you what an awesome fraternity the bartending community is.”
The final of the competition will take place on the Caribbean island on February 7 next year, timed to coincide with the world-famous Trinidad Carnival.
Mannie will go up against the winners of regional heats from Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Russia, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, South America, the Caribbean, Asia and Africa, and the Middle East.
The inaugural Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge took place in 2001 at the Robinson Crusoe Pub at the Hilton Tobago. This was followed by challenges in 2006 and 2008.
In 2011, for the first time, the competition was held during the Greatest Show on Earth, the Trinidad Carnival.
Trinidad and Tobago won for the first time in 2013 with Daniyel Jones, who has since been an excellent ambassador for Angostura around the world.
Winning cocktail recipes by Mancháin Monaghan:
Cure All to Cure All
RECIPE & METHODOLOGY
50ml Angostura® 1919
50ml Strong-brewed Ginger and Peppermint Tea
8 Dashes Angostura® Aromatic Bitters
2 Demerara Sugar Cubes
7.5ml Pimento/Allspice Dram
Garnish: Mint and Charred Bitters-Soaked
Dry Ginger aroma spoon
• Start by placing the 2 sugar cubes on an absinthe spoon over a Boston glass and soak them with the 8 dashes of Angostura® Aromatic Bitters.
• Take a blow torch to the sugar cubes until a caramel starts to drip off the spoon, when the caramel is dripping off rinse the cubes with the 50ml of Angostura 1919.
• After rinsing, drop the sugar cubes in to the Boston glass, crush them and stir together.
• Add the 50ml of Ginger and Peppermint Tea, and the 7.5ml Pimento Dram, add cubed ice and shake.
• Strain in to a small ice cream coupe and garnish with the aroma spoon. The aroma spoon is made using the absinthe spoon used to caramelise the sugar cubes on. It is not cleaned before the serve in order to keep the aroma of the caramelised bitters.
• Place a small mound of dried ginger on the spoon, soak in 3 dashes of Angostura® Aromatic Bitters and briefly set alight. Blow out the ginger, and clip a healthy bunch of mint to the spoon.
RECIPE & METHODOLOGY
65ml Blended Juniper Forward (Masons) and Corriander Forward (Opihr) Gin
10ml Clear 1:1 Sugar Syrup
6 Dashes Angostura® Orange Bitters
1 Thin slice of Clementine
Serve with: Bowl of Scotch Walnuts and Bourbon Pecans.
• Stir all ingredients with cubed ice
• Fine strain in to a Martini glass
• Garnish by running the flesh of the clementine around the rim before dropping flat in to the liquid
• Serve with a jar of nuts on the side