This old photograph of Buxworth has been submitted by Keith Holford.
Brierley Green Congregational Chapel can be seen adjacent to the two popular trees on the right of the picture.
Next door to the chapel is ‘The Hollies’, then the home of Thomas Prescott, who was headmaster of Bugsworth School between 1902 and 1931.
Mr Prescott led the successful campaign to change the village’s name to Buxworth from Bugsworth, a title which invoked much controversy among residents.
Mr Holford explained: “In 1929, Mr Prescott, together with the vicar of Chinley and Bugsworth, the Rev Towers, was instrumental in changing the village name to Buxworth, in a vote taken in October 1929.
“Derbyshire County Council, however, only authorised the change of name in 1934 under the Local Government Act of 1933.”
In 1999, another referendum was held in the village, when a campaign to restore the village’s original name was defeated.
Ironically, many in the local area still refer to the village as ‘Buggy’.
Commenting on the photograph, Mr Holford added: “The road has since been realigned, the railway lines are reduced to two sets from four, and there are now two small estates to the rear of Brierley Green.”