Teenage victim 'feared she would die' after man she met on Tinder took her to remote area of Derbyshire and raped her

A teenager said she ‘feared she would die’ during a terrifying attack in which a man she met on Tinder took her to an isolated part of Derbyshire and raped her.

‘Dangerous’ sex offender Christopher Hartley, 22, was jailed for 17 years for raping the 18-year-old along with another 16-year-old girl he met on the dating app.

The first attack occurred in June 2018, when Hartley asked his 16-year-old victim to join him on a dog walk near his home in Adwick-Le-Street, Doncaster.

While in a remote area, Hartley asked the victim to have sex with him. When she refused, he got her in a headlock and squeezed her neck hard before raping her.

'Dangerous' sex offender Christopher Hartley was jailed for 17 years.

In the second attack, in June 2019, Hartley picked up the 18-year-old victim in his car and drove her to an isolated area in Derbyshire. He then raped her in the car while holding her around the neck and pushing her around.

The victims said they had both feared they would die during the terrifying attacks.

Investigating officer DC Kath Coulter, of South Yorkshire Police, said: "Hartley is a serious danger to young women and I am pleased he has received a significant custodial sentence for these utterly horrific attacks.

"Both victims were present in court to see justice being done. They have shown incredible courage and dignity throughout this investigation and I would like to thank them for the support they have given to the investigation."

DC Coulter added: "The victims have also both asked for me to issue a reminder to anyone using dating apps to make sure they take measures to stay safe.

"Get to know somebody before you meet them, tell a friend or family member where you are going, and if something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts and leave. In an emergency, call 999 and we will respond immediately."

Hartley, of HMP Doncaster , was found guilty of seven offences including rape, sexual assault and attempt strangulation to commit rape following an eight-day trial in November.

On Monday, December 7, he was sentenced to 17 years in prison, with an extended licence period of four years. He will be on the Sex Offenders' Register for life, and lifelong restraining orders have been put in place to protect both victims.

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.