Award-winning chef at the University of Derby Buxton Robert Stordy begins a series of regular recipes on the Advertiser website with this tasty chicken broth starter.
Serves four as a starter
200g noodles, dried or fresh
100g mushrooms: shitake, chestnut, or button, sliced
1 large pepper red or green, de-seeded, cut into 1cm chunks
150g carrot, peeled, cut into thin strips
½ bunch spring onions, shredded
25g root ginger, peeled finely grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped
1 litre chicken stock
1 x 150g chicken breast
25ml sesame oil or vegetable
Salt and pepper
Sprig fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1) Cut the chicken breast into strips, or 2cm chunks
2) Bring the stock to the boil, add the mushrooms, carrot, ginger, garlic and chilli, simmer for two minutes.
3) Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken, peppers and onions until light golden brown, strain off any excess fat, and add to the stock and vegetables, simmer gently for about eight minutes. Check seasoning
4) Cook the noodles in boiling salted water as per package instructions
5) Drain the noodle and place in serving dish, pour over the chicken and vegetable broth, finish with chopped coriander
Robert’s tips: fresh chicken stock gives a fresher flavour and contains less salt then stock cubes or granules.
Healthy eating: low in salt (using fresh stock) and saturated fat