Jack: 2015 can be my year

Jack Massey is heading to LA.
Jack Massey is heading to LA.

Unbeaten Jack Massey says he is aiming to earn himself a title shot this year as he looks to continue his rise through the professional game.

The Chapel-en-le-frith cruiserweight is 6-0 and is aiming to maintain his upward trajectory as he chases a maiden strap in the paid ranks - whatever level that may be.

“I’m looking to step up in terms of fighters in 2015,” Massey told the Advertiser.

“Hopefully I can get a title shot at some point.

“I’m still unbeaten and when you start approaching double-figures, that’s when people start taking real notice of you and you start getting a reputation.

“I only had my first six-rounder in October so I think once I’ve got a few more of those under my belt it will be time to step it up a bit.”

Massey was slated to appear on a bill in Manchester last month but the headline act Anthony Crolla sustained injuries when confronting burglars in his home before Christmas and the bill was subsequently shelved.

Massey’s next outing will take place at Victoria Warehouse in Manchester on March 14 - the scene of his most recent win against Mitch Mitchell last October.

In his preparations, Massey has been taking note of how a stablemate of his, Brian Rose, built up to his own world title encounter.

Rose lost out to a controversial decision last weekend in his hometown of Blackpool.

Rose took on American Carson Jones for the vacant WBC international light-middleweight title, but the bout was controversially stopped in the first round with Jones awarded a stoppage.

Despite the ending, Massey says watching Rose prepare for the fight was inspiring.

He added: “It was good to be training alongside him in the lead up, and I need to take as much as I can from that.”