Dramatic finale to Paul Wallis Shield

Paul Rumbellow (left) the 10th winner of the Paul Wallis Memorial Shield with Pete Wallis.
Paul Rumbellow (left) the 10th winner of the Paul Wallis Memorial Shield with Pete Wallis.
Have your say

Paul Rumbellow has added his name to the Paul Wallis Memorial Shield after a dramatic fishing match at Gawsworth Hall in late August.

The presentation night that followed took place in October at Rems Bar in Chapel and marked the tenth anniversary of Paul’s untimely passing.

Another £1,000 was added to Paul’s charity which is for the colon cancer research unit at Christies which takes the fund raising to a magnificent £15,655.

The family would like to thank all the anglers who took part in the match and contributed to the fund and also brought prizes for the raffle. The usual local businesses did their bit too, with prizes from the Vecchia Italia, The Computer Man, Dave Critchlow Tiling and Gareth himself from the Rems Bar.

The fishing match itself was a tense affair fished on a cool and variable late August bank holiday.

There were two anglers both vying to get their names on the shield for the third time and several who were yet to win the shield. Ian Marsh came closest to the ‘hat trick’ with a fourth-place dfinish but for once Chapel Hot rod Eddie Laister ended up getting ‘the blank’ for the third year running and consequently had no chance of getting his third win.

With last years’ winner Gethin Jones unable to fish, it was last year’s runner up Dobber Longdon who was in a ‘bullish’ mood before the match started.

A confident cheer from Longdon at every fish caught had the other anglers believing that Dobber would at last get his name on the sought after shield.

However Rumbellow, fishing at the other end to Dobber, had his head down and was using all his know -how to pluck out a better ‘stamp’ of fish.

The notoriously hard to fish serpentine canal had got the better of most of the anglers, but four were poles ahead and were scrapping for the title.

Every one could see from the amount of rod tipping action that there was a four- way scrap for the title with Rumbellow and Longdon favourites but Simon Hackney and Ian Marsh had both done enough to be in with a shout.

At the “all out” cry to signal the end of the match, Dobber Longdon thought he had done enough.

His jubilation soon evaporated at the weigh in when he officiated the scales and realised he had been beaten into second by the productive Rumbellow. Simon Hackney squeezed in for third and Ian Marsh took fourth.

Last laugh of the day went to Mel Ruddick and Eddie Laister for their failure to catch for the third year running.