Snow result ends promotion hopes for Hillmen

NWCFL Premier Division: Glossop North End 0, Bacup Borough 1

THE HILLMEN slumped to a fifth defeat in six games after a 1-0 home defeat to Bacup Borough at a cold Surrey Street on Wednesday night.

An Aaron Walters goal condemned North End to their third straight loss and ended any hopes of a late promotion push from Glossop.

The Surrey Street pitch was covered in snow only hours before kick-off but the groundstaff’s efforts ensured that the game was to go ahead.

Their efforts looked to be in vein however, when the home fans nearly saw their side go 1-0 down in the opening five minutes but Porya Ahmadi fired wide after bearing down on Ben Proctor.

The Hillmen also had a chance to open the scoring early when Jay Gorton collected the ball on the edge of the area, but his curling shot was tipped onto the bar by Matthew Wrigley in the Bacup goal.

Both sides were creating chances in the first half but Bacup were enjoying the majority of possession. There were warning signs for North End that a goal was imminent when the away side had two efforts cleared off the line by the Glossop defence.

The Hillmen ignored the warning signs however and Bacup opened the scoring just before half-time. A cross from the right wing was met by the glancing head of Aaron Walters and Ben Proctor could only watch on as the ball nestled in the side of his net.

Strong words must have passed the lips of manager Paul Colgan at the interval because his side came out with menace and looked increasingly threatening on the ball.

Alex Elliot nearly levelled but a deflection from a Bacup defender sent his shot wide. Gorton had his header tipped over from the resulting corner.

North End were looking the more likely team to score in the second half but were struggling to break through a determined Bacup defence. Substitute Danny Jones immediately pounced on a slip in the Borough back line but the striker delayed his shot and wasted the Hillmen’s best opportunity of the night.

Players and management alike looked frustrated with another three points dropped when the team arguably deserved better, but the team must re-group before they face a struggling St Helens Town at Surrey Street on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).