Impressive saves result in draw

Buxton Fc v Chasetown, Ryan Price denies Kieran Lugsden
Buxton Fc v Chasetown, Ryan Price denies Kieran Lugsden
Have your say

Buxton FC 0 Chasetown 0

NEW Buxton FC manager Scott Maxfield saw his side pick up only their third Evo-Stik Premier League clean sheet of the season against fellow strugglers Chasetown on Saturday.

The Bucks went into the game having been rocked by the departure of manager John Reed and assistant Clive Freeman just a few days earlier after four and a half seasons in charge. The pair left by mutual consent after a poor start to the season.

Buxton’s opponents Chasetown have also had a difficult start to the season, having won just five out of their 18 games and they currently sit 17th in the league.

But despite both sides needing a win to pick up vital points, the game produced little excitement and ended disappointingly goalless.

Chances for both sides were few and far between in the first half with the best of the opportunities for Buxton falling to David Taylor.

The visitors went close on 39 minutes through Levi Reid following a Mark Branch free kick but when the ball rolled across the crossbar and back down, Gary Birch’s resulting effort was cleared.

After the break, Buxton returned much the brighter side and had a good opportunity within five minutes of the restart. Kieran Lugsden made a good break and passed to newly appointed captain Mark Reed but his opportunity was thwarted by keeper Ryan Price reaching the ball first.

Levi Reid attempted a shot from long range for the visitors on 53 minutes which went miles wide as the flow of the game was constantly interrupted by referee Alix Pashley.

Buxton were awarded a free kick just after the hour mark and were unlucky not to see the reward from Reed’s well struck effort which narrowly missed the target.

A decent effort for the home side following a corner on 74 minutes produced a good save by keeper Price but when he failed to collect the ball properly, a massive scramble followed as Buxton desperately searched for an opener.

As the game drew to a close, both sides created opportunities with the best of the bunch falling to the visitors who forced two impressive saves from Scott Hartley in the dying minutes.

Team: Hartley, Black, Wilde, Agus, Williams, Ridley, Stevens, Towey, Reed, Lugsden, Taylor (Pembleton 68).. Attendance: 344.