Hot-shot Marcus carves through Buxton’s defence

Evo-Stik Premier Division

Buxton 1 Marine 4

GOING a goal up inside the opening five minutes gave Buxton a good start to their first home match of the new season against Marine - but their advantage failed to last until half-time.

The Merseysiders have long been one of Buxton’s bogey sides, and Wednesday night’s match failed to give any indication that the tides were about to turn.

In fact, the visitors showed their intent from kick-off with Michael Ordish’s long-range shot going close inside the first two minutes.

The newly revamped Bucks started brightly too, and three minutes later, they were ahead. A Kevin Sandwith free-kick into the box was well-worked before finding Kyle Nix, who tapped it past visiting keeper Ryan McMahon to get things started.

New Buxton keeper Steve Collis had to be alert to block a decent header from a Marine corner with 14 minutes on the clock before Marcus Carver rounded a couple of Buxton players a minute later. However, his final shot was poor and caused no problems for Collis.

The half continued with little to show from either side until Marine managed to get their breakthrough with three minutes of the first period remaining. Carver was well positioned to take advantage of some poor Buxton defending before firing past Collis to put his side on level terms.

And it took the visitors just a couple of minutes to take the lead, with Andy Fowler this time being the best-placed player to capitalise on a mistake by the home side.

After the break, Buxton had some early pressure but they were unable to force an opening, despite a succession of set-pieces.

With just over an hour gone, the visitors forced a diving save from Collis before Sandwith’s free kick on 66 minutes found only Marine custodian McMahon.

Marine extended their lead on 76 minutes, again through Carver, who wasted no time in punishing the home side for their defensive errors.

And the match was wrapped up safely by Marine with ten minutes to go, when Carver sealed his hat-trick after hesitation from Collis provided an opening.

Team: Collis, Black, Sandwith, Istead, Haggerty, Roberts, Nix, Towey, Reed (Thewlis 71), Lugsden, Maxfield (Duncum 58).

Attendance: 237.