GALLERY: Weakened Buxton FC crash out of cup

Ilkeston's Sam Duncum (right) takes on a Buxton defender during Tuesday's clash.
Ilkeston's Sam Duncum (right) takes on a Buxton defender during Tuesday's clash.
Have your say

Derbyshire Senior Cup Quarter-Final: Ilkeston FC 3, Buxton FC 1

BUXTON’S pursuit of the Derbyshire Senior Cup came to an abrupt halt on Tuesday night as they fell to defeat at the hands of Evo-Stik Division One South side Ilkeston FC.

It was a dominant performance from the hosts despite Buxton taking a 37th-minute lead against the run of play, the divisional difference between the sides unnoticeable on this occasion.

Ilkeston’s first opening came in the sixth minute, Adam Colton threading a neat ball through to Daryll Thomas who slid his effort just wide of the far post. Thomas was in action again moments later, picking up Matt Richards’ pass before cutting in and firing straight at Adam Billard in the Buxton goal.

Indeed, Billard was to be a busy man all night, Jack Watts next to show with a low shot pushed wide by the Bucks’ stopper for a corner.

Home debutant Sam Duncum was then denied what seemed a clear spot-kick when he was brought down having entered the penalty area, and the same player tried his luck from distance on 20 minutes, his right foot shot pushed away by Billard.

Buxton’s first good opening came on 26 minutes when Michael Towey dived to head a left-wing free-kick just wide of the far post.

Ryan Wilson was next to go close for Ilkeston, cutting inside from the left before hitting a powerful shot which Billard got a good enough touch on to deflect the ball against the crossbar and away from danger.

But for all of the hosts’ dominance it was Buxton who would take the lead on 37 minutes.

A free-kick just outside the penalty area saw Scott Maxfield curl in a fine effort which young keeper Scott Low tipped onto the crossbar, but the ball rebounded to David Taylor who nodded into an empty corner of the net and put the visitors in front.

Watts saw another low effort from a tight angle saved by Billard’s feet on 41 minutes as the Robins sought a leveller, and the elusive goal was finally to come in the last minute of the first-half.

Duncum had been lively throughout and when he picked the ball up on the left-hand edge of the penalty area he cut inside onto his right foot before finishing low into the corner.

Ilkeston were busy at the start of the second half too, Duncum pulling the ball across for Darren Caskey whose sliding effort went too high.

Billard pushed away a Richards piledriver moments later, before Watts was denied a goal by the linesman’s flag after he’d headed home Caskey’s cross on 56 minutes.

Josh Hill then headed Caskey’s corner into the side netting, but the Robins were to finally take the lead on the hour mark.

Sub Andrew Osei-Siribour did well to break in from the right, and when his low ball into the six-yard box was deflected past Billard by Sam Liversidge, Caskey was able to tap in from a yard out.

And the third came three minutes later, Osei-Siribour again the creator as his cross was headed home by Joe Maguire who was up for a corner which had been cleared.

A rare Buxton attack then saw Josh Wilde have a crack from distance but Low pushed his low drive away from danger, and moments later sub Danny Hopkins mis-cued a shot from Mark Reed’s pull back and Low gathered.

Hopkins had a better effort saved by Low on 76 minutes as the Bucks fought for a way back into the game, while at the other end Watts’ chip couldn’t quite find its way over Billard’s head.

Low tipped a Zak Haywood shot wide on 88 minutes, but that was that and the Robins had done enough to seal their place in the semi-finals.

Buxton: Billard, Black, Wilde, Liversidge, Burgin (Haywood 46), Maxfield (Maloney 46), Stevens, Towey (Hopkins 64), Reed, Bradbury, Taylor. Sub not used: Hartley. Att: 197.