Cruel sting in tail for Millers

Have your say

Evo Stik NPL Division One South

Saturday, November 19

New Mills 2 Carlton Town 3

An injury time goal from Matthew Millns was enough to see Carlton Town triumph in The Battle of The Millers at Church Lane on Saturday.

New Mills have been dogged by conceding soft goals in recent home performances and they did exactly that again as early as the second minute. Centre back Luke Gale sloppily gave away possession in his own half and Ruben Wiggins-Thomas capitalised by driving forward and crossing for Ian Brown to sidefoot home from close range.

Both teams looked shaky defensively in the early exchanges and Carlton were slightly fortunate to retain their advantage around the quarter hour mark. New Mills were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal which Carlos Meakin drilled low around the wall. Keeper Danny Marshall made a hash of the save and allowed the ball to squirm from his grasp and he was relieved to see one of his defenders just beat Ashley Stott to the rebound and clear the impending danger.

Stott, Meakin and Dave Fitzpatrick, who was looking for his third goal in consecutive weekends, all had presentable opportunities to level the game before the interval but it was Carlton who doubled their lead with virtually the last kick of the half. New Mills again shot themselves in the foot by giving away possession in a dangerous area and seconds later Clive Brown upended an attacker in the box and referee Mr Gratton had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped Ruben Wiggins-Thomas to comfortably slot home the penalty.

Clive Brown redeemed himself 12 minutes into the second half when he brought New Mills back into the game. Luke Horrocks was fouled right on the bye-line and Dave Fitzpatrick’s excellent delivery found the unmarked Brown who headed home at the back post.

Carlton’s Ryan Goward hit the outside of the upright direct from a corner but the visitors had to be grateful to goalkeeper Danny Marshall for protecting their lead 15 minutes from time. Antony Field and Leon Grandison linked up well around the edge of the area before the latter fired in a dipping shot which the stopper excellently finger-tipped over the crossbar.

However Marshall was powerless to prevent Ashley Stott scoring an equaliser five minutes later. Again young Field was the architect of the move when his low cross found Stott free in the box and the striker decisively crashed home his 13th goal of the season.

A draw would have probably been the right result but there was to be a cruel sting in the tail for New Mills. Deep into stoppage time, they conceded a corner and whilst the set-piece wasn’t taken particularly quickly, the defence didn’t seem to organise themselves properly and Matthew Millns was left unmarked to power home a header which consigned the home side to their fourth consecutive Evo Stik League defeat at Church Lane.

New Mills - James Coates, Jordan Edridge, Dave Fitzpatrick, Luke Gale ( Danny Jackson ), Clive Brown, Antony Field ( Kingsley Grandison ), Carlos Meakin, Mark Innes, Ashley Stott, Leon Grandison, Luke Horrocks. Unused subs - Justin Pickering, Kristian Cox, James Moss.

The Millers travel on Saturday to Leicestershire to face Loughborough Dynamos. There is some action at Church Lane though as Rick Adrio’s reserves host Ashton Athletic, kick off 3pm.

Derbyshire FA Senior Challenge Cup draw

The draw has been made for the third round of The Derbyshire Cup and has handed The Millers a home tie against Matlock Town. A date for the tie has yet to be confirmed but the game is expected to be played sometime during the week commencing Monday, December 12.