Buxton 1-1 Whitby - report

Buxton FC v Whitby Town (white), Liam Hardy scores the opening goal
Buxton FC v Whitby Town (white), Liam Hardy scores the opening goal

Buxton failed to re-join the play-off pack after drawing 1-1 at home to Whitby.

Liam Hardy gave the hosts the lead with a great turn and strike but the visitors hit back in the second half as Lee Mason’s effort bobbled over Arron Jameson.

Buxton named two debutants in the side with Harrogate Town loanee pair Rhys Meynell and Craig Nelthorpe both being thrust straight into the starting line-up.

In a match that saw rain, sleet, snow and sunshine, it was Buxton who made the first real chance.

Hardy got onto the end of a great through-ball and shrugged off two defenders but Bland between the sticks saved easily down to his right to turn it behind.

Only moments later, Hardy was nearly in again - a mix up between Bland and King nearly let the frontman in but the visitors managed to clear.

Whitby’s Hopson found every opportunity to drive forward – his mazy run ended up with a floated cross to Snaith but his header was poorly met and trickled wide.

The visitors really started to turn up the pressure on Bucks after a flurry of half chances, which saw Brown’s shot blocked and Burgess’ header roll past Jameson’s post.

On the half-hour mark, the home side again spurned a great chance when Hardy skidded a shot well wide from 18-yards out.

Buxton’s pressure finally paid off just before the break when some nice, neat passing on a bobbly surface found Hardy, whose fantastic turn gave him space on the edge to fire low past Bland for his 22nd of the season.

The snow showers opened at the start of the second as neither side took real control.

A miscued clearance from Whitby’s McTiernan left Taylor in acres of space – his solo run past three players could have found Hardy or Tuton but he was stopped short of releasing the ball.

Jameson then did well only moments later to deny Lee Mason as Hopson’s diagonal ball found the midfielder one-on-one but the Bucks’ stopper got down low to smother the ball away.

A cynical challenge on Alex Byrne erupted into a mass push and shove as both managers came onto the pitch to pull their players away – four men were shown yellow.

After a heavy amount of pressure, the visitors then drew level.

Build up on the right found Hopson, whose fantastic ball slipped in Lee Mason on the left and his low poke bobbled over Jameson who couldn’t keep it out.

Substitute Neil Stevens came close with a looping header but it was well held by Bland.

The Bucks were back in the ascendency and kept searching for the winner as the snow swirled around the Silverlands.

A great break from Craig Nelthorpe found Mark Reed but his cross was inches from Taylor as Whitby hammered the ball away.

Jameson then made an outstretched save to deny Shephard in injury time as spoils were shared.

Bucks: Jameson, Byrne, Wilson, Palmer, Green, Meynell, Taylor, Nelthorpe, Burbeary, Tuton, Hardy.