Bucks boss looking ahead to 2014-15

Buxton FC boss Martin McIntosh.
Buxton FC boss Martin McIntosh.

Buxton FC manager Martin McIntosh is already hard at work building for next season, with the job of getting players to commit to the club well underway.

McIntosh has made no secret of his unhappiness at the club’s 13th-placed finish last term.

He is now hard at work trying to get current players to commit for the 2014-15 season and says he was straight on the phone after the Bucks’ final day defeat to champions Chorley.

He told the Advertiser: “I was on the phone on the Monday (after the Chorley match).

“I was on pretty much all day; you have to be if you want to progress.

“I’m confident that most of the players will commit to the club.

“Of the squad that played Chorley, there’s not one of them that I want to lose.”

Last season started well for the Bucks, before they suffered a mid-season blip that ultimately put paid to their play-off hopes.

McIntosh believes his side must avoid the kind of spell they went through around the New Year period, when they suffered eight defeats on the bounce.

He also says a bigger squad is required to cope with the rigours of a 46-match league campaign.

He said: “That was the part of the season that cost us.

“I think a lot of teams will acknowledge that on any given day we’re a match for anyone.

“No team enjoys playing us when we’re at it and when we’ve got a squad free of injuries and suspensions.

“I think it’s evident we need a bigger squad next year.

“A lot of the time we only had two strikers to pick from and we definitely need to address that.

“Last year I used a lot of under-19s, on the bench a lot of the time.

“In all honesty, if you want a bench with five experienced players on it, as opposed to youngsters, then it’s not easy to do. It costs to do that.”