PLAN ahead for a better journey – that’s the message Derby and Derbyshire Road Safety Partnership is sending to motorists at the beginning of the summer holiday season.
Partnership manager Robert Hill said: “At this time of year lots of holidaymakers will be using motorways and trunk roads to travel outside their own region.
“The Highways Agency - which is a member of the road safety partnership – is responsible for managing these roads and it offers motorists a range of services designed to make journey planning easier.”
Robert added: “We’re encouraging holidaymakers to take the stress out of long and unfamiliar journeys by taking advantage of what the Highways Agency has to offer.
“We’re also recommending that holidaymakers check their car battery, oil, tyres and lights before setting off.”
For real-time traffic information, you can:
* visit the Highways Agency website - www.highways.gov.uk/traffic or www.highways.gov.uk/mobile if using a mobile
* check one of the Highways Agency’s regional Twitter feeds – visit www.highways.gov.uk/twitter for the full index
* use the Highways Agency’s free iPhone app which is free to download
* listen to the Highways Agency’s traffic radio service station which is broadcast on DAB digital radio and the internet at www.trafficradio.org.uk
* call the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000 (calls cost no more than 5p per minute from a standard BT residential landline. Call charges from other landlines and mobile networks cost no more than a standard geographic call and will be included in all inclusive minutes and discount schemes)
* check one of the Highways Agency’s digital information screens – these are available at most motorway service stations.