Register office moves after radon gas problem

0
Have your say

THE TOWN’S registrar has been temporarily rehoused after higher than normal levels of radon were recorded at Buxton Town Hall.

The levels of the naturally-occurring gas, in some of the building’s basement stores and offices which are not accessible by the public, were discovered during routine monitoring before Christmas.

A number of staff were moved to another floor as a precaution, while the registrar was temporarily relocated to the town’s Connections office as no other suitable offices were available at the town hall.

A spokesperson for High Peak Borough Council said the authority took a pro-active approach to health and safety, and that stringent measures were in place.

“A specialist contractor is undertaking remedial work on a sump pump, which is expected to be completed by February 17, when we expect radon levels should return to acceptable levels,” they added.