New Mills phone users hit out at Three

No signal, Lynda Belfield
No signal, Lynda Belfield
1
Have your say

High Peak mobile phone users are calling for a boycott of the Three network, after being left without signal for more than three weeks.

Customers of Three in New Mills and Hayfield have urged those looking for a new phone not to use the company, after losing coverage on August 21.

The Advertiser has been inundated with reports from residents on the network in the SK22 area, with many claiming they had yet to receive compensation, an explanation for the issues or information on when service will be resumed.

Fiona Roscoe, of Hayfield, said she had been “completely conned” by Three this week and wanted to warn others.

She bought two iPhone 5s on August 30 at a total cost of £63 per month for her and her daughter but has never received reception on them, despite reassurance of “good coverage” in the area.

Fiona requested a termination of my contract but was told she could not return the handsets and that engineering work could take a further 28 days or longer.

“I am absolutely livid,” she said. “I want you to warn everyone in the Hayfield / New Mills area not to sign up with Three - they are just another giant corporation making money out of the little guys.”

Tony Bartley, of New Mills, had similar issues after recently purchasing a Three a “pay as you go” SIM card to discover it did not work in the High Peak.

He said: “Three’s lack of action and information regarding their local phone service is very poor. I for one will not be returning to this inferior product. I suggest other dissatisfied customers follow suit and protest with their feet.”

Lynda Belfield, of New Mills, who has been with the network for ten years and has three Three phone contracts, said she was also “livid” about the issue.

Last Sunday, she was told she would receive a 50 per cent discount off her contracts in the next billing period and that the repairs to the network could take up to 30 days.

Lynda added: “I know that we have come such a long way in such a short time with regards to connectivity, and that maybe we have all become too reliant on mobile phones, but this is now a way of the world, and as we are paying for a service that we cannot use, I do feel victimised. I mean all the other networks are not affected, so why cant 3 get their act together?”

A spokesman from Three said: “Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working hard to restore service to the local area as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience to our customers.”

At the time of publication, they refused to answer Advertiser’s enquiries for more details.