DCSIMG

MEMORY LANE: Buxton’s ‘maid-of-all-work’ theatre - photo gallery

Buxton Advertiser archive, 1920s, Buxton's Hippodrome that became the Playhouse before being incorporated into the Pavilion Gardens as the Paxton Suite and presently the Pavilion Arts Centre

Buxton Advertiser archive, 1920s, Buxton's Hippodrome that became the Playhouse before being incorporated into the Pavilion Gardens as the Paxton Suite and presently the Pavilion Arts Centre


First opened as the Entertainment Stage in 1889, this arts venue on St John’s Road in Buxton has had many uses and numerous names.

Over the years it has been known as the Pavilion Theatre, the Hippodrome, the Playhouse and the Paxton Suite.

Today, it is the Pavilion Arts Centre.

So it’s no surprise that in Ros McCoola’s acclaimed book on the history of Buxton’s arts scene, Theatre in the Hills, it is dubbed the ‘maid-of-all-work’ theatre.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page