Heritage body delays plans

A decision on controversial plans to build new homes on the edge of Buxton’s most historic park has been delayed after a heritage watchdog called for more information.

The application for the development of land at Serpentine Walk, a Grade II-listed park, which had already provoked a furious reaction from conservationists and the public, was due to go before High Peak Borough Council’s Development Control Committee on Monday.

But the application was deferred, as a council spokesman explained: “English Heritage have requested additional information from us and also some images so that it can make an informed recommendation.

“We have deferred the application for that reason and are going to wait for English Heritage to come back with its comments to see if we need to revise the plan.”

Concerns had been raised, from various groups including Buxton’s Civic Association, on various grounds including the speed at which the application was going through, with the decision due before the final date for comments had passed.

The council spokesman said: “Any additional public comments will be reflected in the revised report to committee.”

It now appears unlikely that the application will go before the Development Control Committee before August.

The application is to renovate an existing house and for three four-bedroom homes to be built on the former parks depot and nursery.

The civic association’s planning committee said it was pleased the public would have more time to make their comments known.