DEMOLITION work on Buxton’s historic Haddon Hall Hotel has moved up a gear this week with much of the middle section of the building now destroyed.
The London Road landmark, which has been derelict for several years, is being demolished after its condition deteriorated following a fire in February last year. At that time, fire crews ha d to make a bell tower at the top of the building safe before they could hose it down.
And in March this year, firefighters had to demolish a section of wall at the top of the hotel, which was swaying in high winds.
The once magnificent building has been used for a variety of purposes over the years.
The foundation stone for the building was laid on August 22, 1888. It was re-named Electricity Hall when the nationalised Central Electricity Board used it as a training centre, and then operated as the Haddon Hall Hotel until 1995 when it was converted into flats.
The flats were closed down in 1999 by the Fire and Rescue Service on safety grounds.