200 year old Peak District cottage saved by smoke alarms

SMOKE alarms helped save a 200-year-old National Trust cottage after fire broke out yesterday afternoon (Monday).

Fire crews from Hathersage and Low Edges, South Yorkshire attended the fire at Grindleford at about 3.14pm.

The fire is believed to have been started by faulty electrics in an upstairs bedroom.

Whilst the fire caused serious damage to the bedroom, the presence of hard wired smoke alarms gave early warning to the occupants of the cottage who were able to effect an evacuation, but not before shutting the door to the bedroom where the fire was.

This along with an early call to the fire service, proved vital in preventing the fire from spreading and limiting the damage to the property to just one room.

Station Manager, Gary Platts said “Without doubt, if it had not been for the hard wired smoke alarms that were fitted in this beautiful cottage, we could have been looking at a more serious and widespread fire.

“Luckily the whole family were not at home at the time the fire broke out, however the remaining family members had the presence of mind to close the door to the room of the fire and evacuate family and pets before the fire crews arrival, proving just how important not only smoke alarms are, but families know what to do in the event of a fire in their home.”

Fore fire safety advice for the home visit our website www.derbys-fire.gov.uk/keeping-safe/fire-safety-advice-for-the-home .