THIS house in Chapel-en-le-Frith reportedly laid claim to being the smallest house in England.
In the Buxton Advertiser & List of Visitors of July 1913, an article reported how the compact, old-fashioned stone dwelling, situated in Lower Crossings, had the distinction of being the country’s smallest house.
The accommodation in the house consisted at the time of one front room, a bedroom and a back room or kitchen.
The story read: “At first glance it appears to have been wedged in between two other houses of ordinary size.
“The house is occupied by Mr Anthony Chapman, and it would seem appropriate for such a small house that the occupant should be a bachelor.
“The house is owned by Mrs J. C. Hyde, to whom Mr Chapman pays rent.
“Mr Chapman has resided in the house for some nine or ten years, and as a neighbour aptly put it, ‘there is plenty of room for him.’”