Book turns page on history of Derbyshire’s oldest vicarage

Fairfield Vicarage in 1910
Fairfield Vicarage in 1910

An ancient Buxton vicarage is the focus of a new local history book by author David Owen.

In ‘Fairfield Vicarage - Our White House’, David writes with fondness about a property that for 12 years was his second home.

He chronicles not only some of the history of the oldest vicarage in Derbyshire, but includes a section about past vicars, and personal recollections of those associated with the vicarage.

The author explained: “Many local people have had associations with Fairfield Vicarage. They may have been there to get married, to attend confirmation classes, to attend garden parties or similar.”

With the vicarage now set to be sold off, David said the time was right to record its history.

Built in 1620, Fairfield Vicarage is a Grade II Listed building and holds a prominent position at the top of Fairfield Hill. It was also once a coaching inn.

“Some people living in Fairfield today may be surprised to learn of strange and long-disused place names, their meaning difficult to fathom now: Gainelif Lane, Curley Slack, Onward Cottages and two fields known for some reason as Long Tongue and Little Tongue End,” added David.

Sponsored by the Bingham Trust, Fairfield Vicarage - Our White House is illustrated with historical photographs and documents. The book will be available from Bells (Clarks) shoe shop at 17 Spring Gardens, Buxton, from July 2, priced £7.

Profits will go to St Peter’s Church, Fairfield, and the CNI Orphanage in Delhi.